BILLABONG TRAVELS: THE WHITSUNDAYS
The Whitsundays is made up of 74 islands spread majestically through the Coral Sea on the beautiful tropical coast of Queensland. Right in the heart of the Great Barrier Reef, the islands sandy fringes disappear into beautiful shades of aqua, blue and indigo ocean. It was the most idyllic setting for this years CLEO+Billabong collaboration - two iconic Australian brands, on Australia's most spectacular beach...
• Sailing the Derwent Hunter – a 70 year old tall ship – through the islands and dropping anchor for a quick snorkel and then splashing about in the clear, shallow waters of the incredibly stunning Whitehaven Beach
• Taking to the air for the must-have travel snap of the iconic Heart Reef
• Feeding the stingrays on Daydream Island
• Snorkeling among the wonderland that is the World Heritage Listed Great Barrier Reef (you can even camp under the stars on a reef pontoon!)
• Swinging under palms in a hammock
• Getting off the beaten track among the National Park trails
The Whitsundays boasts an abundance of accommodation for every budget. Luxury Island resorts, quiet B&Bs, camping, backpackers an even overnight sailing charters. We chose to stay at Daydream Island Resort and Spa. The resort appeals to the adventurous with amazing diving and snorkelling off the fringing coral reef, plus a wide range of water sports including jet skiing, fishing and kayak adventures. Not to mention lagoon pools, magical dining experiences, bars, tennis courts, secluded beaches, stunning rainforest, an outdoor cinema and a world-class rejuvenation spa. You can even feed sharks and stingrays at the world's largest outdoor aquarium.
All the islands have a variety of restaurants to cater for all tastes and cravings. Fresh seafood is a must, as is a cocktail/mocktail by the pool!
• The Byron reversible wrap and Byron reversible tropic pant - two bikinis in one for lazing on the sand or in a hammock!
• The Bondi crop and Bondi Hawaii pant for water activities like snorking, jet skiing or kayaking, you'll want your 'kini to stay put!
• The Tallows playsuit for easy island wandering or swanning about the sailing boat
• Sun protection (sunglasses, sunscreen, the Byron Bloom bucket hat and the Mandalay cape to throw on over your bikini)
• Snorkel and mask – you can hire them but you’ll be glad you packed a good quality set of your own!
• The Bondi Sands towel
• Sandals & footwear to hike in
• Something nice for balmy nights, like the Whitehaven cami and Whitehaven Maxi skirt
• All the usual essentials in travel size: shampoo, conditioner, after-sun lotion and don’t forget your toothbrush.
• The Bondi Sands beach bag to keep it all safe
Located on Hamilton Island, the airport is serviced by Virgin Australia, Jetstar and Qantas Link with daily flights from Cairns, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne. Cruise Whitsundays operates ferries from Hamilton Island to transfer passengers to Airlie Beach on the Whitsunday Coast and other island resorts.
Want to visit this stunning piece
of Australia? We’re giving you the chance to win a trip for two!
Find out more and enter here.
incredible sunrises will have you up early
with the brightest glowing sand, Whitehaven Beach is easy to spot!
CLEO fashion editor, Alissa's Whitehaven essentials.
The Derwent Hunter
the friendliest locals
cheeky cockatoos stopped by our balcony every afternoon