Champions Crowned at the 13th Annual Taj's Small Fries
Seven champions have etched their names onto the prestigious Taj’s Small Fries honour roll, after an exciting finish to WA’s biggest and best junior surfing event over the weekend in Yallingup.
For the first time in Small Fries rich 13-year history, the event utilised Smith’s Reef with the move serving up postcard perfect conditions for the event finalists.
Under sunny skies and with a beach full of cheering supporters, some of Australia’s best junior surfer tore into groomed 2-3 feet barrelling rights and long running lefts, which made for yet another memorable finish to Taj Burrow’s signature tournament in his hometown of Yallingup.
Taj was instrumental in in the shift to Smith’s and he was clearly stoked mother nature provided his Small Fries in 2018. In between commentating the finals, Burrow took to giving out free haircuts with his trademark mohawk the flavour of the day with the grommets.
“It’s such a dreamy day down here, I was a bit nervous this morning when we made the call, but the waves have really turned on,” said Burrow. “It’s just been the most perfect location for a comp, I can’t believe that we’ve never held the event here before. I couldn’t be happier with how things have gone in 2018 and long live the Small Fries!”
Taj’s Small Fries is the second stop on Billabong’s Bloodlines Series, which alongside Parko’s Grom Stomp (Sunshine Coast, QLD), The Oz Grom Cup (Coffs Harbour, NSW) and Occy’s Grom Comp (Gold Coast, QLD), provide a one of a kind experience for Australia's next crop of emerging surfers and future World Champions.
FINAL RESULTS – TAJ’S SMALL FRIES 2018:
16 & Under Boys:
1. Finn Cox (Margaret River, WA) – 16.75
2. Seth Van Haeften (Margaret River, WA) – 14.10
16 & Under Girls:
1. Emma Cattlin (Yallingup, WA) – 15.85
2. Maddie Cawood (Margaret River, WA) – 13.75
14 & Under Boys:
1. Solomon Pogue-Englert (Gracetown, WA) – 18.00
2. Danny Benedetti (Margaret River, WA) – 15.15
3. Dexter Payenberg (East Fremantle, WA) – 11.10
4. Jay Robinson (Dunsborough, WA) – 11.00
14 & Under Girls:
1. Zali Hewson (Margaret River, WA) – 16.25
2. Lilliana Bowrey (Sunshine Coast, QLD) – 13.25
3. Rosie Smart (Coffs Harbour, NSW) – 8.70
4. Lilli Cox (Margaret River, WA) – 8.50
12 & Under Boys:
1. Ryan Kainalo (Brazil) – 12.45
2. Lawson Thomas (Willagee, WA) – 9.10
3. Ned Hart (Dunsborough, WA) – 8.35
4. Macklin Flynn (Mandurah, WA) – 7.25
12 & Under Girls:
1. Willow Hardy (Margaret River, WA) – 11.65
2. Kaleisha Launders (Margaret River, WA) – 8.90
3. Ruby Berry (Augusta, WA) – 7.35
4. CJ Sheahan (Margaret River, WA) – 4.80
10 & Under Mixed:
1. Remy North (Dunsborough, WA) – 15.75
2. Will Martin (Coffs Harbour, NSW) – 13.80
3. Okie Frazer (Margaret River, WA) – 13.00
4. Maverick Wilson (Mandurah, WA) – 10.25
The 13th Billabong Taj's Small Fries is proudly supported by Flight Centre, City of Busselton, Surfing Western Australia, HIF, SunSmart, RAC, #NoTxtNoWrecks, Globe, Modom, Mayhem, Epokhe, Bondi Zinc, Catch Surf & Surfing World Magazine.