RECIPE: Fish Tacos
Mouth-Watering Fish Tacos
Hola! Nothing screams Mexico more than tacos, and what I love most about them is how they bring friends and family together. Each element of the taco is served in its own bowl/plate, creating a vibrant array of food that people combine how they like. How can anyone be unhappy with a taco in their hand?!?
Food has its social aspect, but food is also energy and nourishment. This recipe utilises stone ground corn (maize) tortillas. If you’re used to the Old El Paso wheat tortillas, these will blow your mind. Corn is a staple in Mexico (and around the world) and provides an abundance of nutrients for energy, brain cognition, bone health and more. Fish is a lean protein source that compliments the cabbage and coriander, both of which are gifts from Mother Nature to support our body’s natural detoxification.
- 8 La Tortilleria soft tortillas (https://latortilleria.com.au/where-to-buy)
- 400g flathead fillets, cut
- 1 lime
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp Cayenne pepper
- ¼ purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 corn on cob
- 3 schallots, sliced
- 2 TBS chipotle mayo
- Coriander, roughly chopped
- Wrap the corn in alfoil and BBQ, rotating every 5mins for about 20mins.
- Whilst the corn is cooking, combine juice of ½ Lime, ½ tsp cumin, ¼ tsp cayenne pepper in a bowl and stir to mix well.
- Depending on the size of your flathead fillets, you may need to cut them to 10cm sized pieces.
- Add the flathead pieces to the bowl and gently move the fillets around to coat them in the flavour.
- Pan fry the fish for 5mins, or until cooked to your liking.
- Get the other taco ingredients ready and place in individual serving bowls/plates.
- Pan fry the tortillas to warm them, about 2mins each side.
- Remove the corn from the BBQ, slice the kernels off the cob, add to another bowl.
- Place all the ingredients on the table and friends and family can mix and make their own.
- You don’t need to use soft tortillas, you could use cos lettuce instead
- Vegetarian? No worries. Substitute the fish with haloumi. Amazing!