RECIPE: Rice Paper Rolls
Chicken & Mango Rice Paper Rolls with Peanut Sauce
Looking to get some extra serves of veg into your day? Enter rice paper rolls. Super easy to make, so delicious to eat. Let’s set the scene…
The sun is out. It’s early afternoon. The girls are coming over. You want to put out some food; something fresh and light; that always pleases the crowd.
You can take the flavour of rice paper rolls any direction you want. Since I’m always chasing summer, the recipe has a summer flavour. Is there any other fruit that screams summer more than a mango? The sweet, juicy flavour provides 100% of your daily Vitamin C needs and 1/3 of your daily Vitamin A needs. Plus these rice paper rolls are loaded with vegetables rich in fibre, vitamins and antioxidants.
When it comes to everyday nutrition, plan your meal around fresh, in season vegetables. Government standards state we need to eat 5 vegetables a day, you’ll get 4 vegetables just in this dish alone (yes herbs are vegetables!). It is important to include some form of protein in each dish too. Protein repairs your hair, muscles and skin – much needed when you’re in the ocean all the time.
Rice Paper Roll Ingredients:
- 1 mango, sliced
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 packet of vermicelli
- 1 packet of rice paper rolls
- 1 red capsicum, sliced
- 1 lebanese cucumber, sliced
- Handful of mint
- Handful of coriander
Peanut Dipping Sauce Ingredients:
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 TBS soy sauce
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 1 TBS honey
- ¼ cup crushed peanuts
- Heat water in a pot, slice chicken into large chunks and place in pot, bring to boil and reduce to simmer for around 20mins.
- Place vermicelli in a large bowl, cover with boiling water and set aside for 5mins to soften, drain when cooked.
- Get your ingredients ready, slice the capsicum, cucmber, mango. Wash mint and coriander, pluck leaves of the mint and chop the coriander.
- Drain the chicken, and shred or slice.
- Fill another bowl with warm water. Place one rice paper sheet in the water and move around until it softens. Flatten the rice paper sheet out on a plate or chopping board, load with your ingredients. Fold the sides in and roll up.
- Repeat step 5 until all rice paper rolls have been made.
- Combine all dipping sauce ingredients in a bowl. Mix until well combined. Add to a small fry pan and cook for 1-2 mins until it thickens up slightly. If it is too thick, add a little warm water and stir until thinner consistency is achieved.