RECIPE: Summer Sorbet
There is nothing better on a summer’s day than a nice, cooling treat. And there is no better treat than sorbet; made purely from fruit, this sorbet recipe is easy to make and even easier to eat.
Take advantage of the summer fruit being so readily available and cheap, because we all know we crave them when winter comes around. Watermelon has to be one of the most refreshing fruits, the high water content of the fruit definitely contributes to the quenching of a summer thirst. Beyond that, watermelon contains lycopene which is an antioxidant shown to reduce cholesterol and aid cardiovascular health.
- ¼ watermelon
- 1 papaya
- 1 cup coconut water
- Slice up papaya and watermelon into cubes and freeze for 24hrs.
- Combine watermelon and ¼ cup of coconut water in a blender (I used my nutri-bullet.
- Add another ¼ cup of coconut water gradually until the blender can spin/mix easily. You will use a little less coconut water with the watermelon.
- Pour into the watermelon mix into a bowl or icecream tin (or something you can scoop easily out of), and place back into the freezer for a few hours.
- Repeat steps 2-4 with the frozen papaya. You will need to use a little more coconut water as papaya does not naturally contain as much water as watermelon.
- Remove from the freezer, spoon into serving bowls and enjoy.
- You could make this with any kind of fruit, the coconut water just helps it blend.
- Best prepared a few days in advance.
- Double the batch to make more to store in an air-tight container in the freezer.