RECIPE: Turkish Delight
What you’ll need…
- 4 ½ cups water, divided use
- 1 ¼ cups corn-starch
- 1 ½ tbsp rosewater
- 2-3 drops red food colouring
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
What you need to do….
1. Line a medium pan with aluminium foil and spray the foil with a generous amount of cooking spray. Leave aside for the time being.
2. Get together the sugar, lemon juice and 1 ½ cups of water. Pop this into a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir the blend of ingredients until the sugar has completely dissolved, then bring to the boil. Using a wet pastry brush, brush down the sides of the saucepan and then insert a sugar thermometer.
3. Let the mixture boil for a little longer without stirring until it reaches 240 degrees.
4. Begin to prepare the other ingredients. Pour the remaining 3 cups of water in another larger saucepan. Mix in the corn-starch and cream of tartar and whisk until starch has completely dissolved. Pop the saucepan over medium heat and bring it to the boil also. Be sure to constantly stir the mixture. Once it becomes thick and pasty you know it’s good to go!
5. Once the sugar syrup reaches 240 degrees, remove it from the stove. Carefully pour this into the corn-starch mixture, stirring until it is all mixed in!
6. Reduce the heat and let the mixture simmer, stirring occasionally for about an hour or until the mix turns a light golden colour. It needs to be really thick and glue like in texture.
7. After the hour remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the food colouring and rosewater. Pour the mix into the previously prepared pan and allow it to set overnight.
8. After you have woken up from your beauty sleep, remove the set mixture from the pan. Sprinkle the powdered sugar over a clean kitchen bench or large chopping board. Place the set mix face down onto it. Remove the foil from the bottom and cover that area with the powdered sugar also. Cut the Turkish Delight into squares and dust each side with the powdered sugar. Enjoy!